There’s more to adding new countertops to your home than just selecting the material. The countertop installation requires your attention as well. If you purchase natural stone countertops like granite or marble, you want to make sure that the installation goes as smoothly as possible. To ensure this, you need to prepare for the install beforehand.
In most cases, your contractor would inform you about the process and ask you to observe certain precautions. You need to keep these in mind so that the installation is carried out smoothly. Here’s what you need to do.
Pick the Right Contractor
Countertop installation requires care and expertise, especially if you’re installing granite or marble. Granite will chip or even crack if it’s not handled properly while marble will just break. You need someone who’ll take care when they handle these expensive stones. There have been incidences where clumsy contractors have damaged the stones before installation.
Finish Everything Else
Countertop installation is the last aspect of your kitchen or bathroom installation, you need to finish everything else before you install them. That includes cabinetry, the kitchen appliances, plumbing, counters, etc. Your kitchen must be complete before you install the countertops. Nothing should move between the templating and the installation otherwise the measurement would be off.
Have Things in Place for Templating
You need to arrange the kitchen as it would look when the remodel is complete before the countertop installation. Be sure to purchase the sink before you place the order for your countertop. This will allow the installers to properly measure and mark everything and make the right template for stone cutting.
Clear the Countertop
If you’re just replacing your old countertop, remove everything on top of it. Keep it absolutely clear so that the installers can measure properly.
Set Aside the Time
Even for templating, you need to set aside some time. The process takes a couple of hours, depending on the size of the kitchen. You need to supervise the process and approve of all seam locations, corners, overhangs, outlets, etc. Your stone will be cut according to this template so if the template isn’t right, the countertop installation would be faulty as well.
Usually cutouts for appliances like cook tops, drop-in sinks, and faucets, etc are done during the installation on site. In case of under mount sinks, some installers would take the sinks to the fabrication facility to accurately measure the cutout.
Once all the measurement is taken and the templating is done, we’ll need some time to cut the stone according to the measurements. When we finish the cutting, you need to pick the time and date for the countertop installation. Consider the following points:
- You need to be present during the time of the installation. The process can take anywhere between 2 and 6 hours. You need to set aside the time for the installation. Most companies would refuse to install if the decision maker isn’t present.
- Clearing the area is very important. This includes any pictures, hanging, vases, etc. To avoid accidents, it’s also recommended that you remove any rugs and clear the path between your door and the kitchen.
- The installers will be carrying heavy stone into the kitchen, make sure that there are no obstacles in the way. Remove any chairs, scattered toys, or pet dishes from the path.
- As we mentioned before, installers will be cutting out spaces for cook top, faucets, etc, on site. This will generate dust and debris. It’s advisable to drape off the rooms and turn off the air conditioning system when we work. That would minimize the spread of dust.
- It’s also advisable to move family members that are allergic to dust, from the premises.
- Most installers aren’t plumbers or electricians; they won’t be able to connect the power lines or the plumbing. They will, however, install the sink, which is usually attached with silicone. The sink shouldn’t be used for at least 24 hours.
If you observe certain precautions and ease the way for the installers, the entire countertop installation process will happen without accidents.
If you have more questions, call Five Star Stone Inc. at 727 265 1100 or just fill this contact us form and we’ll get back to you.